PDM Group launches national food waste recycling service
Award-winning food waste recycler PDM Group has expanded its meat waste collection service to include all food wastes; and in doing so could be providing the answer to all those under pressure to conform to the Government’s Waste Strategy.
The Group’s nationally available meat waste recycling service has already been taken up by the UK’s major supermarkets eager to ensure their food waste doesn’t go to landfill, and instead is turned into renewable energy.
The Group has been undertaking trials with a number of the biggest names in the High Street as well as their suppliers to determine the energy values of the various waste food types and their suitability for use as bio-fuel.
Products such as unsold meat, fish and poultry as well as food wastes such as stale sandwiches, pizzas, dairy produce and sausage rolls are used to generate renewable energy at the company’s power plants. The PDM Widnes combined heat & power plant already uses food waste to generate enough renewable energy to power 20,000 homes.
“Generating renewable power from food wastes which would normally go to landfill provides huge benefits to the environment,” explains Philip Simpson, Commercial Services Director for PDM Group.
“Additionally, the process we use produces more renewable energy from each tonne of food wastes than alternative systems on the market; it also has the added benefit of being able to food wastes in packaging, including plastics, tins, card and glass.”
PDM Group provides an unequalled range of biodegradable waste recycling services to the UK market with national services covering the collection and recycling of animal by-products, food wastes and used cooking oils.
The service arrives as recent research by WRAP (Waste & Resources Action Programme) into household waste shows that ...the separate collection of food waste is likely to be the most successful way of diverting that waste from landfill
This research has been welcomed by PDM Group which has been developing its renewable energy from food waste systems since the mid-1990s.
PDM Group’s Food Waste Recycling operations provide:
- An integrated service for all food wastes including meat, fish, poultry, bread, fruit, vegetables, dairy products, used cooking oils and rotisserie fats
- A collection network covering every town and city in the UK
- Emergency collections following freezer breakdowns or vehicle accidents
- Strategically located sites to reduce transport costs and ‘material miles’
- A safe, environmentally sustainable and fully auditable disposal route for food industry by-products
- Large fleet of specialist vehicles
- Material collections to suit operational needs, seven days a week
- Full compliance with latest EU legislation on animal by-product disposal
- Dedicated 24/7 customer helpdesk
Tailor-made and cost-effective arrangements are provided for the disposal of a wide variety of materials, including…
- Any food waste from food manufacturing, processing or retailing sectors
- Abattoir, slaughterhouse and butcher’s shop residues
- Raw or cooked meat and fish products
- Milk or dairy products
- Used cooking oil
- Out-of-spec, out-of-date or un-saleable food material from shops and supermarkets